People who viewed this item also viewed: 104688, 145162, 145161, 145160, 30923
History: In 1950, Bangor & Aroostook commissioned Magor Car Company to build 300 insulated heated plug-door boxcars for potato service. An additional 150 cars were ordered from Pacific Car & Foundry in 1953. The cars were equipped with ventilators and charcoal heaters. New Haven piggybacked an order of 100 cars with the PC&F lot and factory-decorated its cars in the State of Maine scheme to save money on the purchase. The cars carried potatos in the winter and paper products in the summer.
Magor was sold in 1964 to the Fruehauf Corporation. One authority estimates that Magor was then capable of producing more than 5,000 units annually. But sales were steadily declining, and the company went out of business in 1973.
Between 1899 and 1973, Magor produced some 95,000 cars. Most were industrial style cars for mine, sugar mill, track maintenance, etc., and perhaps the greatest number went to export customers. But Magor built for the domestic market as well, being perhaps best known for its cabooses and its air dump cars. During its last decades it specialized in aluminum bodied cars, notably covered hoppers such as the well-known Big Johns of the Southern Railway.
Item Links: We found: 1 different collections associated with Rail - Rolling Stock (Freight) - Boxcar - 40 Foot Steel XIH
- Collection N Scale Model Trains: 19 different items.
Item created by: gdm on 2018-06-06 17:48:20. Last edited by gdm on 2018-06-06 17:51:09
If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.