People who viewed this item also viewed: 147836, 147839, 93090, 104626, 104842
History: The BX-177 was a product of Santa Fe's Topeka, Kansas shops in the late 1970s. The BX-155, BX-161, BX-166 and BX-177 were all similar designs. The BX-177 was one of the single plug door designs and was 62 feet long. When built, they were painted in the railroad's Indian Red paint scheme with the 'Shock Control' logo on the sides. In later years, the cars were repainted in a simplified mineral red scheme. Some repainted cars had a small circle-cross herald applied in the upper left corner, while others had reporting marks only.
Many of these cars are still in service, four decades after being built. Some are used for beer service while others carry recycled paper. These cars have a single 8-foot insulated plug door on each side.
The Santa Fe was a pioneer in intermodal freight transport, an enterprise that (at one time or another) included a tugboat fleet and an airline (the short-lived Santa Fe Skyway). Its bus line extended passenger transportation to areas not accessible by rail, and ferryboats on the San Francisco Bay allowed travelers to complete their westward journeys to the Pacific Ocean. The ATSF was the subject of a popular song, Harry Warren & Johnny Mercer's "On the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe", written for the film, The Harvey Girls (1946).
The railroad officially ceased operations on December 31, 1996, when it merged with the Burlington Northern Railroad to form the Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway.
Read more on Wikipedia.
Item Links: We found: 1 different collections associated with Rail - Rolling Stock (Freight) - Boxcar - 62 Foot BX-177
- Collection N Scale Model Trains: 24 different items.
Item created by: gdm on 2018-08-14 10:15:06. Last edited by gdm on 2018-08-14 10:15:25
If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.