People who viewed this item also viewed: 96569, 125474, 104137, 130773, 21152
Model Information: Boxcar, 50 Foot, Berwick with Pickens Door, Rib Side, Without Roofwalk. They are modeled after a prototype produced by BFF (Berwick Forge and Fabricating). This model can be distinguished from other MDC/Athearn BFF Boxcars by the large placard on the Superior-type door, which (on the prototype) held the NRUC (National Railway Utilization Company) logo. Athearn acquired this tooling from MDC in 2004, and has since re-released it more than once. Athearn markets BFF models with both door styles (Pickens and Youngstown) as 'Berwick Boxcars'. The Athearn models feature magnetically operated couplers and are always RTR.
To cater to this demand, Berwick introduced its 50-foot boxcar in 1972 and sold the exterior-post car to more than 35 railroads. Though Berwick stopped production in 1982, the boxcars are still commonly seen throughout North America.
Road Name History:
The line from Norwood to Ogdensburg had its origins in the Norwood-Ogdensburg line which was built by the Northern Railroad in 1850. This line then became part of the Ogdensburg & Lake Champlain and later the Rutland. In 1965, 3 years after the Rutland was abandoned, the Ogdensburg Bridge & Port Authority purchased a segment of the Rutland that stretched between Norwood & Ogdensburg. The OB&PA leased this segment first to the Ogdensburg & Norwood Railroad then later to the St. Lawrence Railroad until 1990. At this point the lease was taken over by the St. Lawrence & Raquette River Railroad.
The line from Norwood to Norfolk had its origins in the Norwood & St. Lawrence Railroad which had opened in January of 1909. The N&STL merged with the Raymondville & Waddington Railroad. The combined company was owned by the St. Regis Paper company which operated it until 1974, when it turned over the line to the Ogdensburg Bridge & Port Authority. The OB&PA later leased the line to the St. Lawrence & Raquette River.
The St. Lawrence & Raquette River was acquired by CSX Transportation which now operates it as a subdivision.
Unlike many of their contemporaries which contracted with European firms to produce their products, MDC made their own toolings. They made several popular body styles and produced them for road names that many other vendors (even Micro-Trains) wouldn't touch. This made them popular with modelers. Also, their un-assembled "kits" permitted a lower price point so they were popular with "runners" as well as "modelers".
Of particular interest was the attention given to modern 50 foot steel boxcars. They made some attempt to accurately mold the differences into distinct models to represent each of the major prototype manufacturers products. They have distinct toolings not only for the different products from FMC, BFF and PS, but also multiple models for each of these manufacturers including "standard" vs "Youngstown" doors and "waffle" vs. "rib" sides. In total they produced 13 different versions of the 50 foot steel boxcar.
Item created by: gdm on 2017-05-21 06:39:00. Last edited by gdm on 2018-02-16 09:04:48
If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.