Search:
Type the text to search here and press Enter.
Separate search terms by a space; they will all be searched individually in all fields of the database. Click on Search: to go to the advanced search page.
Classifieds Only: Check this box if you want to search classifieds instead of the catalog.
Please help support TroveStar. Why?

Rapido Trains - 109065 - Passenger Car, Lightweight, Osgood Bradley - Bangor and Aroostook - 150, 151, and 152

At least one of these are for sale right now with a price of: $213.99

This item is not for sale. This is a reference database.
HO Scale - Rapido Trains - 109065 - Passenger Car, Lightweight, Osgood Bradley - Bangor and Aroostook - 150, 151, and 152
Click on any image above to open the gallery with larger images.
Sell this item on TroveStar
Sell
Add a comment about this item.
It will be visible at the bottom of this page to all users.
Comment
Brand/ImporterRapido Trains (Details)
Stock Number109065
Original Retail Price$234.95
Body StyleRapido Trains Passenger Coach Lightweight 10-Window Osgood Bradley
Prototype VehiclePassenger Car, Lightweight, Osgood Bradley (Details)
Road/Company NameBangor and Aroostook (Details)
Road/Reporting Number150, 151, and 152
Paint Color(s)Light Gray with sapphire blue window bands
Coupler TypeAccuMate Magnetic Knuckle
Wheel-Set Type/ConstructionChemically Blackened Metal
Wheel ProfileRP25
Multipack Count3
Multipack ID Number109065
Item CategoryPassenger Cars
Model TypeLightweight/Streamlined
Model SubtypeOsgood Bradley
Model Variety10-Window Coach



Body Style Information: Available in fully, partially, or non-skirted versions, with or without roof hatches (as appropriate), with GE or Frigidaire air conditioning equipment (as appropriate), the Rapido Trains Osgood Bradley Lightweight 10-Window Coaches have complete and accurate interior detail (including bulkhead mirrors), correct, tubular cross section flush windows with painted frames, full under-body detailing (with separate air, steam, and electrical lines), brake hoses and end gates, exquisite 41-E trucks with chain detail and metal RP25 wheel-sets, Easy-Peasy battery operating lighting, factory installed, separate grab irons, and accurate paint and lettering schemes.

Precisely scaled from the original factory blueprints, with several car numbers for each paint scheme offered, the models have a minimum operating radius of twenty-four inches.

Prototype Information: Designed by Walter Dorwin Teague in the early 1930s, beginning in 1934, the attractive, lightweight, rounded aircraft style bodied Pullman Standard Osgood Bradley passenger cars were manufactured in Pullman Standard's Osgood Bradley plant in Worcester, Connecticut.

The line's first truly lightweight coaches, the New York New Haven and Hartford Railroad was the largest customer of these 10-window cars.

Osgood Bradley's were used on long distance and local passenger trains and saw continued use well into the 1970s.
Prototype Information:
In 1934 Pullman-Standard’s Osgood Bradley plant in Worcester, Massachusets began construction of one of the first true lightweight coaches for the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad. These cars were used on both long distance and local trains and served well into the 1970’s.

For clarity’s sake, let’s get the nomenclature right. Due to copyright issues, we’re not allowed to call these cars by their popular name. The popular name for the cars, named after an A.C. Gilbert S scale model in the 1940s, was coined by Arthur Dubin in his book More Classic Trains in 1974. In the interests of historical accuracy, let’s return these cars to their original name: they are Pullman-Standard’s lightweight Osgood Bradley coaches, or Osgood Bradley coaches for short.
Road/Company Information:
The Bangor and Aroostook Railroad (reporting mark BAR) was a United States railroad company that brought rail service to Aroostook County in northern Maine. Brightly painted BAR box cars attracted national attention in the 1950s. First-generation diesel locomotives operated on BAR until they were museum pieces. The economic downturn of the 1980s coupled with the departure of heavy industry from northern Maine forced the railroad to seek a buyer and end operations in 2003.

The company was incorporated in 1891 to combine the lines of the former Bangor and Piscataquis Railroad and the Bangor and Katahdin Iron Works Railway. It was based in Bangor and lines extended from there to Oakfield and Houlton in 1894. The line was extended from Houlton to Fort Fairfield and Caribou in 1895. A parallel branch line was extended from Oakfield to Ashland in 1896. A branch was built from Caribou to Limestone in 1897, and the main line extended from Caribou to Van Buren in 1899. The Ashland Branch was extended to Fort Kent in 1902. A southern extension was completed in 1905 through Northern Maine Junction to Searsport on Penobscot Bay. The Medford Cutoff from Packard to South Lagrange was completed in 1907; and a branch was built from Millinocket to a new paper mill in East Millinocket. Rails were extended up the Saint John River from Van Buren through Madawaska and Fort Kent to St. Francis in 1910; and Mapleton was connected to Stockholm and Presque Isle on the main line, and to Squa Pan on the Ashland branch. An international bridge was constructed over the Saint John River between Van Buren and St. Leonard, NB in 1915 to connect with the Canadian Pacific Railway and National Transcontinental Railway (later merged into the Canadian National Railway).

BAR began hauling potatoes in heated box cars in 1895. Potatoes provided a stable income source through the great depression, and provided 50% of the railroad's revenue following World War II. BAR had the 2nd largest United States railroad-owned reefer fleet (after Santa Fe) during the 1950s. BAR made an arrangement with Pacific Fruit Express whereby PFE reefers shipped Maine potatoes during winter months and BAR reefers carried California produce during the summer and autumn. While potatoes started moving by truck following completion of the Interstate Highway System into northern Maine in the 1960s, what actually resulted in the railroad losing its potato business forever was the Penn Central Transportation Company (PC), whose interchange service became so bad during the winter of 1969?70 that a large portion of the 1969 potato crop was spoiled by freezing when car heaters ran out of fuel. The claims process against PC was not resolved prior to PC's bankruptcy declaration the following June. As a result, several potato farms went out of business; and those that survived distrusted rail service and never returned to using the railroad.

Inbound chemicals and outbound paper from mills on the Penobscot River at Millinocket and East Millinocket were major revenue sources for the BAR from 1900. Another paper mill was built in Madawaska in 1925. Pulpwood and wood chips to the paper mills became increasingly important as potato loadings declined. The remote port facilities at Searsport were a preferred loading point for ammunition during World War II; and BAR transported heating coal and aircraft fuel to Loring AFB for Strategic Air Command bombers through the Cold War. BAR painted 2,500 box cars in the red, white and blue colors of the US flag during the 1950s. A less expensive oxide red paint scheme with large white reporting marks was adopted during the Vietnam War.

The line from Brownville Junction to Katahdin Iron Works was abandoned in 1922, but the rails remained in place until 1933. BAR passenger train service ended in 1961. Bus service, which began in 1936, continued with buses lettered for Bangor and Aroostook running on Greyhound Lines schedules between Aroostook County and New York City's Port Authority Bus Terminal until 1984. The Greenville branch was dismantled from 1962 to 1964. Several Aroostook County segments were abandoned when potato traffic disappeared in the 1970s. In 1995, the BAR was acquired by Iron Road Railways. In 2002, the company was declared bankrupt, and in 2003 its lines were sold to Rail World, Inc., which initially incorporated them into the newly formed Montreal, Maine and Atlantic Railway. In 2010, the 233 miles (375 km) of track from Millinocket north to the Canada-US border were sold to the state of Maine for $20 million to be operated by Irving's Maine Northern Railway. MM&A kept the line from the Millinocket paper mills south to Searsport; after its 2013 Lac-Megantic derailment and bankruptcy, the line was sold to Fortress Investments as the Central Maine and Quebec Railway.
Brand/Importer Information:
Rapido Trains Inc. is a high-end manufacturer of model trains and accessories in HO, OO and N (North American 1:160 and British 1:148) scales. The firm's mission is to recreate the entire rail travel experience, from fully-detailed interiors and under-frames on models to fully-wired telephone poles for model railroads. The name RAPIDO was introduced by Canadian National in 1965 to headline the railway's high-speed intercity passenger services. Until the mid-1980s, RAPIDO stood for fast schedules, frequent trains, and superb service. Today, Rapido Trains continues the RAPIDO concept with state-of-the-art models and attention to fine detail. This company is not related to the venerable (and now defunct) German manufacturer Arnold Rapido, nor the present-day Arnold (which is owned by the United Kingdom's Hornby), Canadian based Rapido Trains was founded in 2003.
Item created by: nscalemodeler160 on 2016-08-04 22:15:57. Last edited by Alain LM on 2021-07-11 16:52:18

If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.