Search:
Type the text to search here and press Enter.
Separate search terms by a space; they will all be searched individually in all fields of the database. Click on Search: to go to the advanced search page.

N Scale - Athearn - 2359 - Boxcar, 50 Foot, PS-1 - Central of Georgia - 5978

Please help support TroveStar. Why?
This item is not for sale. This is a reference database.
N Scale - Athearn - 2359 - Boxcar, 50 Foot, PS-1 - Central of Georgia - 5978 Image Courtesy of Athearn.com
Click on any image above to open the gallery with larger images.
Sell this item on TroveStar
Sell
Add a comment about this item.
It will be visible at the bottom of this page to all users.
Comment
Production TypeAnnounced
Stock Number2359
Original Retail Price$25.98
BrandAthearn
ManufacturerMDC Roundhouse
Body StyleMDC Boxcar 50 Foot PS Single Door
Image Provider's WebsiteLink
Prototype VehicleBoxcar, 50 Foot, PS-1 (Details)
Road or Company NameCentral of Georgia (Details)
Reporting MarksCG
Road or Reporting Number5978
Paint Color(s)Black
Print Color(s)Silver, Yellow whit and Black
Coupler TypeMcHenry Magnetic Knuckle
Coupler MountTruck-Mount
Wheel TypeChemically Blackened Metal
Wheel ProfileSmall Flange (Low Profile)
Ready-to-RunNo
Kit ComplexityEasy-Build
Kit Material(s)Pewter Metal and Injection Molded Plastic
Announcement Date2020-04-24
Release Date2021-04-01
Item CategoryRolling Stock (Freight)
Model TypeBoxcar
Model Subtype50 Foot
Model VarietySingle Sliding Door Rib Side Without Roofwalk PS
Prototype RegionNorth America
Prototype EraNA Era III: Transition (1939 - 1957)
Scale1/160



Specific Item Information: Era:1956+
• Three road numbers
• See through metal roof walk
• Scale profile brake wheel
• Detailed under frame
• Roller bearing or Bettendorf trucks
• Fully-assembled and ready-to-run out of the box
• Accurately painted and printed
• Highly detailed, injection molded body
• Machined metal wheels
• Screw mounted trucks
• McHenry knuckle couplers
• Weighted for trouble free operation
• Clear plastic jewel box for convenient storage
• Operates on Code 55 and 80 rail
• Minimum radius: 9 ¾”
Model Information: This MDC Roundhouse body style models a 50 Foot Pullman Standard (PS) Boxcar with a single sliding door, Rib Sides, peaked ends, and no roofwalk. The molds were acquired by Athearn/Horizon Hobbies in 2004.

The 2021 release of this model included these features: See through metal roof walk, Scale profile brake wheel, Detailed under frame, Roller bearing or Bettendorf trucks, Fully-assembled and ready-to-run out of the box, Accurately painted and printed, Highly detailed, injection molded body, Machined metal wheels, Screw mounted trucks, McHenry knuckle couplers, Weighted for trouble free operation, Clear plastic jewel box for convenient storage, Operates on Code 55 and 80 rail, Minimum radius: 9 ¾”
Prototype History:
The Pullman Standard or PS-1 design was one of the most popular and was widely used by North American railroads. These boxcars were built beginning in 1947 and share the same basic design, with certain elements such as door size, door style or roof type varying among the different railroads and production years. When production of these cars ceased in 1963, over 100,000 had been produced.

The original PS-1 measured 40 foot in length, but Pullman Standard also offered 50′ and later 60′ boxcars – also with the PS-1 designation.
Road Name History:
The Central of Georgia Railway (reporting mark CG) started as the Central Rail Road and Canal Company in 1833. As a way to better attract investment capital, the railroad changed its name to Central Rail Road and Banking Company of Georgia. This railroad was constructed to join the Macon and Western Railroad at Macon, Georgia, and run to Savannah. This created a rail link from Chattanooga, on the Tennessee River, to seaports on the Atlantic Ocean. It took from 1837 to 1843 to build the railroad from Savannah to the eastern bank of the Ocmulgee River at Macon; a bridge into the city was not built until 1851.

During the Savannah Campaign of the American Civil War, conducted during November and December 1864, Federal troops tore up the rails and converted them into "Sherman's neckties."

At the end of 1956 the CofG operated 1,764 miles (2,839 km) of road and 2,646 miles (4,258 km) of track; that year it reported 3208 million net ton-miles of revenue freight and 73 million passenger-miles. Those totals do not include the 144-mile (232 km) S&A, the 10-mile (16 km) L&W, the 20-mile (32 km) WS or the 36-mile (58 km) W&T. The Central became a Southern Railway subsidiary on June 17, 1963. In 1971 the Southern formed the Central of Georgia Railroad to merge the Central of Georgia Railway, the Savannah and Atlanta Railway, and the Wrightsville and Tennille Railroad.

Today the Central of Georgia exists only as a paper railroad within the Norfolk Southern Railway group. 42 miles (68 km) of the CofG's former mainline are currently leased by the Chattooga and Chickamauga Railway from the State of Georgia.
Brand/Importer Information:
Athearn's history began in 1938, when its founder-to-be, Irvin Athearn, started an elaborate O scale layout in his mother's house. After placing an ad selling the layout, and receiving much response to it, Irv decided that selling model railroads would be a good living. He sold train products out of his mother's house through most of the 1940s. After becoming a full-time retailer in 1946, Irv opened a separate facility in Hawthorne, California in 1948, and that same year he branched into HO scale models for the first time.

Athearn acquired the Globe Models product line and improved upon it, introducing a comprehensive array of locomotive, passenger and freight car models. Improvements included all-wheel drive and electrical contact. One innovation was the "Hi-Fi" drive mechanism, employing small rubber bands to transfer motion from the motor spindle to the axles. Another was the double-ended ring magnet motor, which permitted easy connection to all-wheel-drive assemblies. Athearn was also able to incorporate flywheels into double-ended drives.

The company produced a model of the Boston & Maine P4 class Pacific steam locomotive which incorporated a cast zinc alloy base and thermoplastic resin superstructure. It had a worm drive and all power pickup was through the bipolar trucks that carried the tender. This item was discontinued after the Wilson motor was no longer available, and was not redesigned for a more technologically advanced motor.

Athearn's car fleet included shorter-than-scale interpretations of passenger cars of Southern Pacific and Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad prototypes. The company also offered a variety of scale-length freight cars with sprung and equalized trucks. The cars could be obtained in simple kit form, or ready-to-run in windowed display boxes. The comprehensive scope of the product line contributed to the popularity of HO as a model railroad scale, due to the ready availability of items and their low cost.

Irv Athearn died in 1991. New owners took control in 1994, but continued to follow Athearn's commitment to high-quality products at reasonable prices. Athearn was bought in 2004 by Horizon Hobby. Athearn was then moved from its facility in Compton to a new facility in Carson, California. In mid-2009, all remaining US production was moved to China and warehousing moved to parent Horizon Hobby. Sales and product development was relocated to a smaller facility in Long Beach, California.

Read more on Wikipedia and Athearn website.
Item created by: CMK on 2020-04-25 08:38:25. Last edited by Alain LM on 2021-06-21 12:01:37

If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.