Search:
Type the text to search here and press Enter.
Separate search terms by a space; they will all be searched individually in all fields of the database.

Click on Search: to go to the advanced search page.

N Scale - Art Griffin Decals - Page 70 - Boxcar, 36 Foot, Wood Truss - Pere Marquette - 3990

Please help support TroveStar. Why?
Stock Number Page 70
Brand Art Griffin Decals
Manufacturer Art Griffin Decals
Body Style Generic Model
Prototype Vehicle Boxcar, 36 Foot, Wood Truss (Details)
Road or Company Name Pere Marquette (Details)
Reporting Marks PM
Road or Reporting Number 3990
Print Color(s) white
Ready-to-Run No
Item Category Accessories
Model Type Decals
Model Subtype Railroad
Model Variety Boxcar
Prototype Region North America
Prototype Era NA Era II: Late Steam (1901 - 1938)
Scale 1/160



Specific Item Information: Art Griffin offered a 'book' of early railroad decals. You could order them in N Scale, HO or O. The decals are referenced by the 'page' in Art's book.

Model Information: Unspecified Body Style

Prototype History:
Boxcars in the early 20th century frequently featured a "Truss-Rod" design. The purpose of truss rods was to prevent the railcars from sagging in the middle by the use of turnbuckles in the center of the truss rods for tightening. Due to the limitations of the materials available at the time, there was a tendency for the railcars body to sag in the middle, between the trucks. Truss rods were designed to prevent this. They have the same purpose as I beams or channel beams do in more modern equipment; or, the unitized body of automobiles do today. They give strength in the direction needed to support the load placed on the car.

Road Name History:
The Pere Marquette Railway (reporting mark PM) operated in the Great Lakes region of the United States and southern parts of Ontario in Canada. It had trackage in the states of Michigan, Ohio, Indiana and the Canadian province of Ontario. Its primary connections included Buffalo; Toledo; and Chicago.

The Pere Marquette Railroad was incorporated on November 1, 1899 in anticipation of a merger of three Michigan-based railroad companies that had been agreed upon by all parties. It began operations on January 1, 1900, absorbing the following companies:
  • Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad (F&PM)
  • Detroit, Grand Rapids & Western Railroad (DGR&W)
  • Chicago & West Michigan Railway (C&WM)
The company was reincorporated on March 12, 1917 as the Pere Marquette Railway. In the 1920s the Pere Marquette came under the control of Cleveland financiers Oris and Mantis Van Sweringen. These brothers also controlled the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad (Nickel Plate), the Erie Railroad and the Chesapeake & Ohio Railway, and planned to merge the four companies. However, the ICC did not approve the merger and the Van Sweringens eventually sold their interest in the Pere Marquette to the C&O, with which it formally merged on June 6, 1947.

Brand/Importer Information: No longer in business, but still products for sale at some resellers (2022).

Item created by: james13pugh on 2022-05-19 12:45:24. Last edited by james13pugh on 2022-05-19 12:45:25

If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.