Search:
Type the text to search here and press Enter.
Separate search terms by a space; they will all be searched individually in all fields of the database. Click on Search: to go to the advanced search page.
Classifieds Only: Check this box if you want to search classifieds instead of the catalog.
Please help support TroveStar. Why?

Atlas - 40 004 569 - Locomotive, Diesel, Alco FA/FB - Lehigh & New England - 707

At least one of these are for sale right now with a price of: $165.00

This item is not for sale. This is a reference database.
N Scale - Atlas - 40 004 569 - Locomotive, Diesel, Alco FA/FB - Lehigh & New England - 707
Click on any image above to open the gallery with larger images.
Sell this item on TroveStar
Sell
Add a comment about this item.
It will be visible at the bottom of this page to all users.
Comment
Stock Number40 004 569
Secondary Stock Number40004569
Original Retail Price$219.95
BrandAtlas
ManufacturerLife-Like
Body StyleLife-Like Diesel Engine FA-1/FB-1
Prototype VehicleLocomotive, Diesel, Alco FA/FB (Details)
Road or Company NameLehigh & New England (Details)
Road or Reporting Number707
Paint Color(s)Black with White Stripes
Print Color(s)Black & White
Coupler TypeAccuMate Magnetic Knuckle
Coupler MountBody-Mount
Wheel TypeChemically Blackened Metal
Wheel ProfileSmall Flange (Low Profile)
Series Release/Issue NumberGold
DCC ReadinessDC/DCC Dual Mode Decoder w/Sound
Announcement Date2018-12-18
Release Date2021-06-01
Item CategoryLocomotives
Model TypeDiesel
Model SubtypeAlco
Model VarietyFA-1
Prototype RegionNorth America
Prototype EraNA Era III: Transition (1939 - 1957)
Scale1/160



Model Information: Model introduced in 2000. Sold as FA-1/FB-1 set, with both engines powered.
Features:
  • split-frame
  • open-sided, skew-wound 5-pole motor
  • dual flywheels
  • all 8 wheels geared and provide power pickup
  • non directional headlight
DCC Information: No provision for DCC
Prototype History:
The ALCO FA was a family of B-B diesel locomotives designed to haul freight trains. The locomotives were built by a partnership of ALCO and General Electric in Schenectady, New York, between January 1946 and May 1959. They were of a cab unit design, and both cab-equipped lead (A unit) FA and cabless booster (B unit) FB models were built. A dual passenger-freight version, the FPA/FPB, was also offered. It was equipped with a steam generator for heating passenger cars.

Externally, the FA and FB models looked very similar to the ALCO PA models produced in the same period. Both the FA and PA models were styled by General Electric's Ray Patten. They shared many of the same characteristics both aesthetically and mechanically. It was the locomotive's mechanical qualities (the ALCO 244 V-12 prime mover) and newer locomotive models from both General Motors Electro-Motive Division (EMD) and General Electric (the partnership with ALCO was dissolved in 1953) that ultimately led to the retirement of the FA/FB locomotive model from revenue service. Several examples of FAs and FBs have been preserved in railroad museums, a few of them in operational status on such lines as the Grand Canyon Railway and the Napa Valley Wine Train. ALCO's designation of F marks these locomotives as being geared primarily for freight use, whereas the P designation of the PA sets indicates that they were geared for higher speeds and passenger use. However, beyond this their design was largely similar, and many railroads used FA and PA locomotives for both freight and passenger.

Externally, the FA-1/FB-1 could be distinguished from the FA-2/FB-2 (FPA-2/FPB-2) by the position of the radiator shutters – the FA-1/FB-1's shutters were at the far end of the carbody, whereas on the FA-2/FB-2 they were further forward, the design having been modified to allow the installation of a steam generator behind the radiator.
The FPA-4/FPB-4 were visually different due to the additional radiator space that was positioned below the shutters.

From Wikipedia
Read more on American-Rails.com.
Road Name History:
The L&NE appeared in 1895 from the reorganization of earlier bankrupt lines in the area. The L&NE is parallel to and just northwest of the Lehigh & Hudson River. The line began in the Allentown-Bethlehem area of Pennsylvania, and ran northeast through a corner of New Jersey to Campbell Hall, New York (just west of L&HR’s terminus in Maybrook.) Total mileage was just under 220.

Primary traffic was anthracite and cement with a bit of slate traffic for good measure. Unlike the L&HR, L&NE never developed into much of a bridge carrier but generated much more traffic on line.

The steam fleet included the following wheel arrangements: 0-6-0, 0-8-0 (both standard cab and camelbacks), 2-8-0 (both standard cab and camelbacks), 2-8-2 and 2-10-0. The 0-8-0’s were the last camelbacks built for service in America. In 1949, the Lehigh & New England completely dieselized with Alco FA-1, FB-1 sets and RS-2’s (set up for long hood forward operation.)

By 1960, the anthracite business had all but disappeared and the local cement industry was in a steep decline. Mileage had fallen to 177. The L&NE’s parent company, Lehigh Coal & Navigation Company, saw the writing on the wall. Even though the railroad was still solvent, they applied to abandon it. Jersey Central took over 41 miles of line on the south end and the rest of the Lehigh & New England was abandoned in 1961. L&NE became a paper railroad under CNJ to operate those 41 miles. During the early 70s build up to Conrail, a portion of that remaining line was transferred to Reading. Both segments became part of Conrail in 1976.
Brand/Importer Information:
In 1924 Stephan Schaffan, Sr. founded the Atlas Tool Company in Newark, New Jersey. In 1933 his son, Stephan Schaffan, Jr., came to work for his father at the age of sixteen. Steve Jr. built model airplanes as a hobby and frequented a local hobby shop. Being an enterprising young man, he would often ask the owner if there was anything he could do to earn some extra spending money. Tired of listening to his requests, the hobby-store owner threw some model railroad track parts his way and said, "Here, see if you can improve on this".

In those days, railroad modelers had to assemble and build everything from scratch. Steve Jr. created a "switch kit" which sold so well, that the entire family worked on them in the basement at night, while doing business as usual in the machine shop during the day.

Subsequently, Steve Jr. engineered the stapling of rail to fiber track, along with inventing the first practical rail joiner and pre-assembled turnouts and flexible track. All of these products, and more, helped to popularize model railroading and assisted in the creation of a mass-market hobby. The budding entrepreneur quickly outgrew the limitations of a basement and small garage operation. Realizing they could actually make a living selling track and related products, Steve and his father had the first factory built in Hillside, New Jersey at 413 Florence Avenue in 1947. On September 30, 1949, the Atlas Tool Company was officially incorporated as a New Jersey company.

In 1985, Steve was honored posthumously for his inventions by the Model Railroad Industry Association and was inducted into the Model Railroad Industry Hall of Fame in Baltimore, Maryland. In addition, Steve was nominated and entered into the National Model Railroad Association Pioneers of Model Railroading in 1995.

In the early 1990s, the Atlas Tool Company changed its name to Atlas Model Railroad Company, Inc.
Item created by: CNW400 on 2021-02-01 14:33:09

If you see errors or missing data in this entry, please feel free to log in and edit it. Anyone with a Gmail account can log in instantly.